Our Year in Review: conta.cc/2hCC4E3
Highlights of our pursuit of justice in 2016: conta.cc/2hCBxlx
[to be updated - please see news section and Twitter feed for recent updates]
1. Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights (RWCHR) Chair Irwin Cotler received on June 7th 2016 an honourary doctorate from Ben-Gurion University, where he gave the Kreitman Memorial Lecture on “Defending Political Prisoners – from Sharansky, to Mandela, to Badawi”.
2. The RWCHR participated in the Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS) Professional Training Program on the Prevention of Mass Atrocities, where Chair Irwin Cotler spoke on June 1st 2016.
3. RWCHR Chair Irwin Cotler was honoured for his human rights work – and the Centre featured – by the Lord Reading Law Society on May 25 2016.
4. The RWCHR participated in the the Oslo Freedom Forum on May 23-25 2016, where Chair Irwin Cotler spoke on the defense of political prisoners.
5. The RWCHR was co-sponsor of the Raoul Wallenberg International Roundtable which was held in Budapest, Hungary, on May 20-21, 2016 under the theme “The Art of the Impossible”.
6. RWCHR Chair Irwin Cotler received a special award from the Venezuelan National Assembly on May 11 2016, recognizing his work on behalf of political prisoners in general and wrongfully imprisoned Venezuelans in particular, causes championed by the RWCHR.
7. The RWCHR co-sponsored with the March of the Living and Jagiellonian University the historic International Nuremberg Legal Symposium held at the University (Krakow, Poland) on May 4, 2016, under the theme “The Double-Entendre of Nuremberg: The Nuremberg of Hate, and the Nuremberg of Justice,” on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the Nuremberg Race Laws and the 70th anniversary of the Nuremberg Trials. Canadian Supreme Court Justice Rosalie Abella was keynote speaker. The Symposium Unanimously adopted the “Never Again Declaration”.
8. RWCHR Chair Irwin Cotler, international counsel to imprisoned Venezuelan Democratic Opposition Leader Leopoldo Lopez, joined Lopez’s U.S. lawyer Jared Genser and Lilian Tintori, wife of Lopez, in Washington D.C. to make representations to U.S. administration officials, Members of Congress and Senators, as well as civil society leaders to champion the case and cause of Lopez, also taken up by the RWCHR.
9. RWCHR Chair Irwin Cotler, international counsel to imprisoned Saudi blogger Raif Badawi joined Ensaf Haidar, Badawi’s wife, in Washington D.C. in April 2016 to make representations to U.S. administration officials, Members of Congress and Senators, as well as civil society leaders to champion the case and cause of Badawi, also taken up by the RWCHR.
10. The RWCHR participated in the Institute for the Study of Contemporary Antisemitism Conference held at Indiana University on April 2-6, 2016, where Chair Irwin Cotler delivered the 2016 Hart and Simona Hasten Keynote Lecture .
11. The RWCHR was featured, and Chair Irwin Cotler honoured, at the March 31 2016 “Pursuing Justice” event held by the Pearson Centre for Progressive Policy, where co-chairs for the evening were Right Honourable former Prime Ministers John Turner, Kim Campbell, Jean Chretien and Paul Martin.
12. The RWCHR co-sponsored on March 17, 2016 the opening of the Museum of Polish Peoples who saved Jews during WW2.
13. The RWCHR co-sponsored with the McGill Centre for Human Rights and Legal Pluralism the 2016 Wallenberg Lectureship, held at the McGill University, Montréal, on Mach 17 2016. The lecture was given by Professor Harold Koh, former Dean of Law at Yale University and Former Legal Advisor to the U.S. Secretary of State.
14. The RWCHR co-sponsored “Unlikely Heroes: From Wallenberg to Today,” a panel discussion on the legacy and lessons of Raoul Wallenberg, and their relevance to today’s Syrian refugee crisis, held at the University of Ottawa on March 16, 2016. The keynote address was delivered by Ingrid Carlberg, author and journalist from Sweden, who wrote “A room is waiting for you here” about the life of Raoul Wallenberg.
15. The RWCHR participated in the Inter-Parliamentary Conference for Combating Anti-Semitism, held in Berlin on March 13-15, 2016, where RWCHR Founder and Chair Irwin Cotler Chaired the Justice Minister’s Forum.
16. The RWCHR co-sponsored the Conference on Global Anti-Semitism hosted by Kean University, New Jersey on March 13, 2016 , where RWCHR Chair Irwin Cotler delivered the keynote address.
17. The RWCHR co-sponsored the Boris Nemtsov Memorial Russia Freedom Forum held in Toronto on March 9, 2016 , which also highlighted the case and cause of justice for Sergei Magnitsky.
18. The RWCHR co-sponsored the 2016 Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy held in Geneva on February 23 – which highlighted the plight of political prisoners and dissidents – some of whose cases and causes being championed by the RWCHR.
19. The RWCHR initiated the launch of the Raoul Wallenberg All-Party Parliamentary Caucus for Human Rights – in Ottawa on February 17-18, 2016.